Send to

Choose Destination
BMC Cancer. 2013 Jul 23;13:354. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-13-354.

Prognostic impact of serum CYFRA 21-1 in patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma: a retrospective study.

Author information

Division of Thoracic Oncology, Shizuoka Cancer Center, 1007, Shimonagakubo, Nagaizumi-cho, Sunto-gun, Shizuoka 411-8777, Japan.



Serum CYFRA 21-1 is one of the most important serum markers in the diagnosis of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), especially squamous-cell carcinoma. However, it remains unknown whether pretreatment serum CYFRA 21-1 values (PCV) may also have prognostic implications in patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma.


We retrospectively reviewed the data of 284 patients (pts) who were diagnosed as having advanced lung adenocarcinoma and had received initial therapy.


Of the study subjects, 121 pts (43%) had activating epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutations (Mt+), while the remaining 163 pts (57%) had wild-type EGFR (Mt-). Univariate analysis identified gender (male/ female), ECOG performance status (PS) (0-1/ ≥2), PCV (<2.2 ng/ml/ ≥2.2 ng/ml), EGFR mutation status (Mt+/ Mt-), pretreatment serum CEA values (<5.0 ng/ml/ ≥5.0 ng/ml), smoking history (yes/ no) and EGFR-TKI treatment (yes/ no) as prognostic factors (p = .008, p < .0001, p < .0001, p < .0001, p = .036, p = .0012, p < .0001 respectively). Cox's multivariate regression analysis identified PCV < 2.2ng/ml as the only factor significantly associated with prolonged survival (p < .0001, hazard ratio: 0.43, 95% CI 0.31-0.59), after adjustments for PS (p < .0001), EGFR mutation status (p = .0069), date of start of initial therapy (p = .07), gender (p = .75), serum CEA level (p = .63), smoking history (p = .39) and EGFR-TKI treatment (p = .20). Furthermore, pts with Mt+ and PCV of <2.2 ng/ml had a more favorable prognosis than those with Mt+ and PCV of ≥2.2 ng/ml (MST: 67.0 vs. 21.0 months, p < .0001), and patients with Mt- and PCV of <2.2 ng/ml had a more favorable prognosis than those with Mt- and PCV of ≥2.2 ng/ml (MST: 24.1 vs. 10.2 months, p < .0001).


PCV may be a potential independent prognostic factor in both Mt+ and Mt- patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma.

[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for BioMed Central Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center