Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2013 Jun;23(3):281-5. doi: 10.1097/SLE.0b013e31828e3954.

Laparoscopic floppy Nissen fundoplication: 11-year follow-up.

Author information

1
Department of Surgery, University of L'Aquila, Italy. schietroma2001@yahoo.it

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

There are few published reports on the outcomes of ≥ 10 years after a laparoscopic floppy Nissen fundoplication (LFNF).

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

From April 1994 to January 2012, 567 patients underwent LFNF and the outcomes of 211 cases were determined (from April 1994 to October 2000).

RESULTS:

Outcomes at ≥ 11 years after surgery was available for 178 patients (84.3%) of which 167 (93.8%) had no heartburn or mild heartburn, 8 (4.5%) had moderate heartburn, and 3 had (1.7%) severe heartburn. Dysphagia was nonexistent or mild in 153 (85.9%), whereas the remaining 14.1% presented moderate to severe symptoms. Reports of 69.1% patients showed none or mild symptoms of abdominal bloating, that of 23% patients showed moderate discomfort, and reports of 7.8% showed severe bloating. Satisfaction score was 8.6 (of 10). A further surgical procedure was required for 7 patients (3.9%): 4 for recurrent reflux and 3 for dysphagia (2 for a tight wrap and 1 for a tight esophageal hiatus). Postoperative dysphagia sufficient for an endoscopic dilatation was observed in 4 patients (2.3%), where 3 were successfully managed with a single dilatation procedure and the last patient underwent several dilatations before adequate swallowing.

CONCLUSION:

LFNF is an effective long-term treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease, yielding similar results to open fundoplication.

PMID:
23751993
DOI:
10.1097/SLE.0b013e31828e3954
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wolters Kluwer
Loading ...
Support Center