Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Foot Ankle Spec. 2013 Aug;6(4):271-5. doi: 10.1177/1938640013489344. Epub 2013 May 30.

The incidence and natural history of forefoot scar pain following open hallux valgus surgery.

Author information

  • 1Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, England, UK. Edieong83@gmail.com

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Scar symptoms are a recognized complication of forefoot surgery. The aim of our study was to quantify and qualify these symptoms following open Scarf osteotomy for hallux valgus.

METHODS:

A total of 125 consecutive patients with a minimum of 1 year's follow-up were questioned, with a response rate of 82%. Four patients were excluded because of superficial wound infections, leaving 98 patients in the study.

RESULTS:

In all, 30 patients (31%) reported scar symptoms. In this symptomatic group, 8 patients (21%) undertook noninvasive intervention for their symptoms, and the remaining 22 symptomatic patients (79%) did not use any form of intervention for their symptoms. Patients who undertook some sort of intervention had a significantly shorter duration of symptoms (mean = 19 vs 44 weeks; P = .01). The mean duration of symptoms was 27.9 weeks, and mean symptom score was 3 out of 10. At the 1-year follow-up, 95% of patients had no scar symptoms. There was no significant difference in either the preoperative severity of the deformity or the degree of correction achieved between the symptomatic and asymptomatic patients.

CONCLUSION:

These results can be used to obtain consent, educate, and reassure patients. We recommend simple noninvasive interventions should patients experience postoperative scar symptoms.

LEVELS OF EVIDENCE:

Therapeutic, Level IV.

KEYWORDS:

Scarf osteotomy; hallux valgus; scar

PMID:
23723334
DOI:
10.1177/1938640013489344
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center