Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Int J Cardiol. 2013 Oct 9;168(4):3208-11. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.04.002. Epub 2013 Apr 20.

The glider balloon: a useful device for the treatment of bifurcation lesions.

Author information

1
Laboratory of Interventional Cardiology and Department of Cardiology, Clinica Mediterranea, Naples, Italy. Electronic address: carlobriguori@clinicamediterranea.it.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Final kissing balloon dilatation (FKBD) is a recommended final step in case of treatment of bifurcation lesions by two stents approaches. Furthermore, dilatation of the side branch (SB) may be necessary following main vessel (MV) stenting. Occasionally, recrossing the stent struts with a balloon is hampered because the tip hits a stent strut.

METHODS:

The Glider (TriReme Medical, Pleasanton, CA) is a dedicated balloon designed for crossing through struts of deployed stents toward a SB. From October 2010 to January 2012, FKBD was attempted in 236 consecutive bifurcation lesions treated in our Institution. FKBD was successfully performed by conventional balloon catheters in 221 (93.5%) lesions (Conventional group). In the remaining 15 (6.5%) lesions, where a conventional balloon failed to cross the stent strut, the Glider balloon was attempted (Glider group).

RESULTS:

The angle beta (between the axis of the MV after the branch point and the SB axis at the point of divergence) was wider in the Glider group (83±17° versus 65±27°; p=0.032). A trend toward an higher rate of the true bifurcation lesions was observed in the Glider group (93% versus 70.5%; p=0.07). The Glider balloon successfully crossed through MV stent struts toward a SB in 12 patients (80%), whereas failed in the remaining 3 patients.

CONCLUSIONS:

The Glider balloon represents an unique bail-out device which offers an effective rescue strategy for recrossing stent struts during complex bifurcation stenting.

KEYWORDS:

Angioplasty; Bifurcation lesion; Coronary artery disease; Stent

PMID:
23611747
DOI:
10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.04.002
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center