Format

Send to

Choose Destination
World J Mens Health. 2012 Dec;30(3):166-71. doi: 10.5534/wjmh.2012.30.3.166. Epub 2012 Dec 27.

Sexual behavior of the elderly in urban areas.

Author information

1
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chuncheon, Korea.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

This study aimed at investigating sexual behavior patterns of elderly residents of urban areas in South Korea and their correlation with lower urinary tract symptoms.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

From May, 2009 to October, 2009, 154 males and 299 females over 60 years old who visited senior welfare centers of Seoul were administered a questionnaire on sex life patterns and voiding symptoms.

RESULTS:

Among the 154 males, 59 (38.3%) had sexual intercourse at least one time per month. The remaining 95 males (61.7%) did not have sexual intercourse, because of impotence for 52 males (52.6%), no sexual desire for 28 males (29.4%), and sex partner's problems for 15 males (15.7%). The higher International Prostate Symptom Score was, the lower International Index of Erectile Dysfunction-5 was (p=0.035). Among 299 females, 37 (12.4%) had sexual intercourse at least one time per month. The remaining 262 females (87.6%) did not have sexual intercourse, because of no spouse for 163 females (63.2%), no sexual desire for 48 females (18.6%), the spouse's impotence for 34 females (13.2%), and the spouse's bad health for 10 females (3.9%). It was found that self-diagnosis of overactive bladder affects sex life negatively.

CONCLUSIONS:

The sexual behaviors of the elderly included varying activity. Sexual intercourse were significantly associated with lower urinary tract symptoms. Our results suggest that the counseling with the elderly about sexual health is as important as it is with non-elderly individuals.

KEYWORDS:

Aged; Lower urinary tract symptoms; Sexual behavior

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center