Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Virol. 2013 Jun;87(11):6526-9. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00169-13. Epub 2013 Mar 27.

Epstein-Barr virus negativity among individuals older than 60 years is associated with HLA-C and HLA-Bw4 variants and tonsillectomy.

Author information

1
Immunobiology Laboratory, Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland.

Abstract

Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infects ≈ 95% of the adult population. The factors that confer protection in the remaining ≈ 5% remain unknown. In an exploratory study, we assessed immunogenetic factors and tonsillectomy in a cohort of 17 EBV-negative and 39 EBV-positive healthy individuals aged >60 years. Analyses of HLA genotypes revealed an association between EBV negativity and the presence of HLA-C-35T/T and/or HLA-Bw4 alleles. In addition, EBV-negative donors presented with a history of tonsillectomy more often than EBV-positive donors.

PMID:
23536655
PMCID:
PMC3648112
DOI:
10.1128/JVI.00169-13
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Support Center