Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Clin Neurophysiol. 2013 Aug;124(8):1517-27. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2013.01.023. Epub 2013 Mar 20.

Source localization of interictal spike-locked neuromagnetic oscillations in pediatric neocortical epilepsy.

Author information

  • 1Department of Pediatrics, IWK Health Center, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada.



To evaluate the utility of an event-related beamforming (ERB) algorithm in source localization of interictal discharges.


We analyzed interictal magnetoencephalography data in 35 children with intractable neocortical epilepsy. We used a spatiotemporal beamforming method to estimate the spatial distribution of source power in individual interictal spikes. We compared ERB results to source localization using the equivalent current dipole model and to the seizure onset zones on intracranial EEG.


Focal beamformer localization was observed in 66% of patients and multifocal in the remaining 34%. ERB localized within 2 cm of the equivalent current dipole cluster centroid in 77% of the patients. ERB localization was concordant with the seizure onset zone on intracranial EEG at the gyral level in 69% of patients. Focal ERB localization area was included in the resection margin in 22/23 patients. However, focal ERB localization was not statistically associated with better surgical outcome.


ERB can be used for source localization of interictal spikes and can be predictive of the ictal onset zone in a subset of patients with neocortical epilepsy.


These results support the utility of beamformer source localization as a fast semi-automated method for source localization of interictal spikes and planning the surgical strategy.


Epilepsy; Epilepsy surgery; Event-related beamformer; Interictal spikes; Magnetoencephalography

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center