Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2013 Aug;23(4):276-82. doi: 10.1055/s-0032-1333122. Epub 2013 Feb 26.

Orchidopexy in late childhood often associated with previously normal testicular position.

Author information

1
Department of Pediatrics, Medical Centre Alkmaar, Alkmaar, The Netherlands. e.m.vander.plas@mca.nl

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

The aim of this study was to determine retrospectively, the prevalence of acquired undescended testis (UDT) in boys who underwent late orchidopexies, that is, performed after the age of 2 years.

METHODS:

We included all patients who were 2 years or older when they underwent orchidopexy (ORP) for UDT at the Juliana Children's Hospital during 1996 to 2009. Previous testis position from birth until the date of ORP was obtained from youth health care records.

RESULTS:

We identified 660 boys who underwent ORP after the age of 2 years for undescended testis. For 421 of these 660 boys, the previous testicular position could be retrieved from the health records. In 143 of these 421 boys (34%), the operated testis had never been scrotal (congenital UDT), whereas in the other 278 boys (66%), a previous scrotal position had been documented twice or more (acquired UDT).

CONCLUSION:

Our results show that two-thirds of the boys that underwent ORP after the age of 2 had previously normal descended testes. This finding may offer an additional explanation for the discrepancy between the incidence of congenital UDT and the high rate of ORP in mid and late childhood.

PMID:
23444077
DOI:
10.1055/s-0032-1333122
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Georg Thieme Verlag Stuttgart, New York
    Loading ...
    Support Center