Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Br J Cancer. 2012 Dec 4;107(12):1932-7. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2012.509. Epub 2012 Nov 20.

A triplet combination with irinotecan (CPT-11), oxaliplatin (LOHP), continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin (FOLFOXIRI) plus cetuximab as first-line treatment in KRAS wt, metastatic colorectal cancer: a pilot phase II trial.

Author information

1
Laboratory of Tumor Cell Biology School of Medicine, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

We conducted an open-label, pilot phase II trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of FOLFOXIRI plus cetuximab as first-line treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC).

METHODS:

Thirty patients with KRAS wild-type mCRC, <70 years and with performance status 0-1 were included in the trial.

RESULTS:

Complete and partial responses were observed in 4 (13.3%) and 17 (56.7%) patients, respectively (overall response rate (ORR)=70%; 95% confidence interval (CI): 53.6%-86.4%); 8 patients (26.7%) had stable disease and 1 had progressive disease. The median time to tumour progression was 10.2 months (95% CI: 7.1-13.4) and the overall median survival time was 30.3 months (95% CI: 18.8-41.9). Secondary R0 resection was performed in 11 (37%) patients. Grade 3 or 4 diarrhoea and neutropenia were observed in 16 (53%) and 7 (23.3%) patients, respectively, and febrile neutropenia observed in 2 (6.6%) patients. Neurotoxicity grade 2 or 3 was reported in 7 (23.3%) and in 2 (6.7%) patients, respectively, and grade 3 rush was reported in 1 patient.

CONCLUSION:

The FOLFOXIRI/cetuximab combination presented increased activity in terms of response rate and R0 secondary liver metastases resection, and merits further investigation, especially in patients with initially unresectable disease confined to the liver.

PMID:
23169296
PMCID:
PMC3516691
DOI:
10.1038/bjc.2012.509
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Nature Publishing Group Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center