Send to

Choose Destination
Laeknabladid. 2012 Sep;98(9):459-63.

[Results of immediate breast reconstructions at Landspítali-The National University Hospital of Iceland, in 2008-2010].

[Article in Icelandic]

Author information

Department of Surgery, Landspitali-The National University Hospital of Iceland, Iceland.



In late 2007, the availability of immediate breast reconstructions increased as a result of the establishment of an oncoplastic breast surgical service at Landspítali-The National University Hospital The aim of this study was to look at the rates and early complications of immediate breast reconstructions in our hospital in 2008-2010 and compare with the results from the UK National Mastectomy and Breast Reconstruction Audit (NMBRA).


This is a retrospective population-based study, including all women who had immediate breast reconstruction at Landspítali in 2008-2010.


319 mastectomies and 157 breast reconstructions were performed. Of these, 98 (62%) were immediate, (mean age 49, 29-69). The immediate breast reconstruction rate was therefore 31%, with a respective 55% for patients 50 years old or younger. In comparison, the rate was 5% in 2000-2005. Immediate reconstructions with an extended autologous latissimus dorsi flap were performed in 25 (26%) cases and implant based reconstructions in the remaining (n=73, 74%). Inpatient complications occurred in 12 (12%) patients and 5 needed reoperation (3 post-operative bleeding, 1 skin necrosis, 1 imminent LD-flap failure). Readmission due to complications after discharge occurred in 14 (14%), while 37 (38%) developed mild complications not requiring readmission. The results were comparable to NMBRA, although the rates of autologous flap reconstructions were significantly higher than in this study (63% vs. 26%).


As a result of the establishment of an oncoplastic breast surgical service at Landspítali, the rates of immediate breast reconstruction have increased significantly (from 5% to 31%). The complication rates are low and similar to NMBRA.

[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Loading ...
Support Center