Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Am J Ther. 2016 Jan-Feb;23(1):e2-6. doi: 10.1097/MJT.0b013e3182459957.

Etiology of Syncope in Patients Hospitalized With Syncope and Predictors of Mortality and Readmission for Syncope at 17-Month Follow-Up: A Prospective Study.

Author information

1
1Department of Medicine, Cardiology Division, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY; and 2Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX.

Abstract

We investigated the etiologies of syncope and risk factors for mortality and rehospitalization for syncope at 17-month follow-up in a prospective study of 242 consecutive patients, mean age 69 years, hospitalized for syncope. The etiologies of syncope included the following: vasovagal syncope in 49 patients (20%), volume depletion in 39 patients (16%), orthostatic hypotension in 13 patients (5%), primary cardiac arrhythmias in 25 patients (10.3%), structural cardiac disease in 6 patients (2%), and drug overdose in 5 patients (2%). The etiology of syncope could not be determined in 84 patients (35%). Of the 242 patients, 6 (2%) were rehospitalized for syncope and 12 (5%) died. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that the significant independent prognostic factors for rehospitalization for syncope were drug overdose [odds ratio (OR): 11.506; 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.083-22.261]. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that significant independent prognostic factors for time to mortality were undetermined etiology of syncope (OR: 4.665; 95% CI: 1.002, 21.727), San Francisco Syncope Score (OR: 3.537; 95% CI: 1.472-8.496), hypertension (OR: 0.099; 95% CI: 0.019-0.504), and glomerular filtration rate (OR: 0.964; 95% CI: 0.937-0.993).

PMID:
22878409
DOI:
10.1097/MJT.0b013e3182459957
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center