Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2012 Jul;70(7):529-31.

Clinical correlates of the restless legs syndrome.

Author information

1
Division of Sleep Disorders, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Universidade Federal de São Paulo, Rua Claudio Rossi 394, São Paulo, SP, Brazil. luisfabianom@gmail.com

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the clinical correlates of the restless legs syndrome (RLS) in a Brazilian sleep disorders center.

METHODS:

We retrospectively studied 118 patients with RLS from January, 2004, to December, 2010. The analyzed variables were: age at disease onset, gender, race, years of school instruction, primary and secondary RLS, and treatment options.

RESULTS:

Among the studied patients, 83.9% were women with a female/male sex ratio of 5:1. Mean age of the patients at symptom onset ± standard deviation was 41.7±17.9 years-old. The primary RLS was found in 85% of patients. The other 15% remainders consisted of secondary forms, and they were associated with neuropathy, iron deficiency anemia, end-stage renal disease, or Parkinson's disease. Drug therapy for RLS was introduced in 67% of patients.

CONCLUSIONS:

Most patients presented primary RLS with an early disease onset. Further epidemiological studies are welcomed to provide better information on secondary RLS in Brazil.

PMID:
22836460
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Scientific Electronic Library Online
    Loading ...
    Support Center