Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Rinsho Byori. 2012 Apr;60(4):343-8.

[Triglyceride (TG) and remnant lipoproteins].

[Article in Japanese]

Author information

1
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Jikei University Kashiwa Hospital, Kashiwa 277-8567, Japan. hyoshida@jikei.ac.jp

Abstract

Lowering low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (LDL-C) can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) by approximately 30%, and the remaining 70% should be the second front of CVD risk reduction. Such residual risks include high triglyceride (TG) concentrations and low levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (HDL-C) in terms of dyslipidemia. TG-rich lipoproteins are heterogenous and composed of a variety of subfractions, all of which are not necessarily relevant to atherosclerosis and CVD risk. However, remnant lipoproteins, TG-rich lipoproteins, are atherogenic and related to CVD risk. Two different methods (RLP-C and RemL-C) have been developed to measure cholesterol levels of remnant lipoproteins. Although there is a difference in affinity to intermediate-density lipoprotein (IDL) between the two methods, they may be better qualified as biomarkers of CVD risk than TG itself. TG measurements play a certain role in the evaluation of CVD risk, but the remnant lipoprotein cholesterol measurement can provide better screening for patients at high CVD risk than TG and may be a useful examination in both quantity and quality.

PMID:
22686044
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center