Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 2011 Sep-Oct;76(5):247-51.

[Early results of congenital clubfoot using Ponseti method].

[Article in Polish]

Author information

1
Klinika Ortopedii i Traumatologii z Pododdziałem Chirurgii Reki dla Dzieci Instytutu Centrum Zdrowia Matki Polki w Łodzi.

Abstract

Congenital clubfoot is one of the most common congenital skeletal defects. Its aetiology remains unclear. Due to its high incidence and social consequences, the therapy of congenital clubfoot presents an important medical issue. Non-surgical treatment methods are preferred. Many publications confirmed the efficacy of the Ponseti method. The aim of this study was to present early results of congenital clubfoot treatment using the Ponseti method in a one-year follow-up. The therapy protocol was in accordance with guidelines presented by the inventor. The necessity of surgical treatment was a criterion for negative treatment outcome. One hundred and sixteen feet of 92 children were analysed. A Dimeglio-Bensahel classification was used for the evaluation of the defect advance. Seventy-one feet (61.2%) were assessed as grade II, 43 feet as grade III (37.1%) and 2 feet as grade IV deformation. No patients with grade I deformation were included into the study. A positive treatment outcome was observed for 96 feet (82.7%), whereas a negative result for the remaining 20 feet (17.3%). Our results are therefore not consistent with the literature data. It could have resulted from the too precipitate qualification for surgery by the physician and problems with compliance. The Ponseti method is an effective and less straining treatment modality of the congenital clubfoot. In most cases it allows for avoiding extensive surgery and associated complications. A necessity of wearing an orthosis and a risk treatment failure, if not worn systematically, should be emphasised. A longer follow-up period is required for complete result analysis.

PMID:
22420176
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Loading ...
Support Center