Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Rev Neurol. 2012 Jan 16;54(2):93-9.

[Endovascular treatment of carotid stenosis: an experience in the Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias].

[Article in Spanish]

Author information

1
Servicio de Neurología, Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Oviedo, Asturias, España. rgarrod05@yahoo.es

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Carotid stenosis accounts for about 25% of all ischaemic cerebrovascular events. Carotid angioplasty and stenting (CAS) is a minimally invasive procedure used as an alternative to carotid endarterectomy, especially in high surgical risk patients.

AIM:

To analyse the effectiveness and safety of the endovascular treatment of carotid stenosis in the Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias.

PATIENTS AND METHODS:

The study consisted in a retrospective analysis of the carotid stenoses treated by means of CAS between February 2005 and April 2010, and the following information was recorded: demographic data, clinical diagnosis, indication of treatment, time between the onset of symptoms and beginning of treatment, angiographic findings, complications and long-term follow-up (including the rate of restenosis).

RESULTS:

Altogether 121 patients were treated (77.8% males and 22.2% females), with a mean age of 70.8 ± 10.7 years. The main vascular risk factors were arterial hypertension (65.3%), smoking (61.2%) and dyslipidaemia (42.1%). In 86% of cases the stenoses were symptomatic and in the remaining 14% they were asymptomatic. In 60.3% of cases they were stenoses > 70%, in 30.6% they were preocclusive stenoses and in 9.1% they were recanalisations of unstable carotid occlusions. The mean treatment time was 17.0 ± 8.3 days after the ischaemic event. The residual stenosis was less than 30% in all cases. The morbidity and mortality rate at 30 days was 4.1% and the rate of restenosis throughout a mean follow-up of 31.2 ± 10.8 months was 2.4%.

CONCLUSIONS:

In our hospital CAS is considered an effective and safe technique, with a rate of complications that is within the parameters that justify its indication.

PMID:
22234567
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Viguera Editores, S. L.
    Loading ...
    Support Center