Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Haematologica. 2012 May;97(5):751-7. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2011.047670. Epub 2011 Dec 16.

Second-line salvage chemotherapy for transplant-eligible patients with Hodgkin's lymphoma resistant to platinum-containing first-line salvage chemotherapy.

Author information

1
Autologous Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The management of patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma who achieve less than a partial response to first-line salvage chemotherapy is unclear. The objective of this study was to evaluate response and outcomes to second-line salvage and autologous stem cell transplantation in patients not achieving a complete or partial response to platinum-containing first-line salvage chemotherapy.

DESIGN AND METHODS:

Consecutively referred transplant-eligible patients with relapsed/refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma after primary chemotherapy received gemcitabine, dexamethasone, and cisplatin as first salvage chemotherapy. Those achieving a complete or partial response, and those with a negative gallium scan and stable disease with bulk <5 cm proceeded to high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation. Patients with progressive disease or stable disease with a positive gallium scan or bulk ≥ 5 cm were given second salvage chemotherapy with mini-BEAM (carmustine, etoposide, cytarabine, melphalan). Patients who responded (according to the same definition) proceeded to autologous stem cell transplantation.

RESULTS:

One hundred and thirty-one patients with relapsed/refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma received first-line salvage gemcitabine, dexamethasone, and cisplatin; of these patients 99 had at least a partial response (overall response rate 76%). One hundred and twelve (85.5%) patients proceeded to autologous stem cell transplantation, while the remaining 19 (14.5%) patients received mini-BEAM. Among these 19 patients, six had at least a partial response (overall response rate 32%), and nine proceeded to autologous stem cell transplantation. The remaining ten patients received palliative care. Seven of the nine patients transplanted after mini-BEAM had a subsequent relapse. Patients receiving second salvage mini-BEAM had poor outcomes, with a 5-year progression-free survival rate of 11% and a 5-year overall survival rate of 20%.

CONCLUSIONS:

Patients who require a second salvage regimen to achieve disease control prior to autologous stem cell transplantation have a relatively poor outcome and should be considered for alternative treatment strategies.

PMID:
22180434
PMCID:
PMC3342979
DOI:
10.3324/haematol.2011.047670
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Support Center