Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011 Dec 1;239(11):1463-9. doi: 10.2460/javma.239.11.1463.

Phenylpropanolamine toxicosis in dogs: 170 cases (2004?2009).

Author information

1
Pet Poison Helpline, a division of SafetyCall International, 3600 American Blvd W, Bloomington, MN 55431, USA. kpeterson@safetycall.com

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate signalment, clinical signs, dose ingested, treatment requirements, duration of hospitalization, and outcome of dogs exposed to phenylpropanolamine.

DESIGN:

Retrospective case series.

ANIMALS:

170 dogs with potential PPA toxicosis evaluated between 2004 and 2009.

PROCEDURES:

Dogs with potential PPA toxicosis were identified by reviewing the electronic database of an animal poison control center.

RESULTS:

66 of the 170 (39%) dogs reportedly did not develop any clinical signs. Clinical signs reported in the remaining 104 (61%) dogs included agitation (n = 40), vomiting (27), mydriasis (19), lethargy (17), tremor or twitching (16), panting (15), bradycardia (13), tachycardia (12), hypertension (11), and erythema (8). Median dose ingested for all dogs was 29 mg/kg (13.2 mg/lb). Dogs developing clinical signs had a significantly higher median dose ingested (373 mg/kg [170 mg/lb]) than did dogs that did not develop clinical signs (18 mg/kg [8.2 mg/lb]). Likewise, median dose ingested for the 123 dogs treated as inpatients (36.9 mg/kg [16.8 mg/lb]) was significantly higher than the median dose for the 14 dogs treated as outpatients (20.5 mg/kg [9.3 mg/lb]). Median duration of hospitalization was 18 hours (range, 4 to 72 hours), and hospitalization time increased as the dose ingested increased. Survival rate was 99.4% (169/170); the dog that died had ingested a dose of 145 mg/kg (65.9 mg/lb).

CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE:

Results suggested that with supportive care, the prognosis for dogs that had ingested an overdose of phenylpropanolamine was excellent.

PMID:
22087722
DOI:
10.2460/javma.239.11.1463
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Atypon
Loading ...
Support Center