Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Meat Sci. 2006 Mar;72(3):437-45. doi: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.08.013. Epub 2005 Nov 2.

Identification of lactic acid bacteria isolated from kimchi and studies on their suitability for application as starter culture in the production of fermented sausages.

Author information

1
Korea Food and Drug Administration, Division of Food Standard, Center for Food Standard Evaluation, 5 Nokbun-dong, Eunpyung-gu, Seoul 122-704, Republic of Korea.

Abstract

The aim of the investigation was to identify strains of lactobacilli coming from kimchi with properties suitable for use as starter cultures in sausage fermentation. A total of 31 strains of lactobacilli were isolated from kimchi on the 4-6th day of fermentation at 20°C using MRS agar plates and identified on the basis of morphological, biochemical, and physiological characteristics. The isolates were identified as Leuconostoc mes.mes./dent (12.9%), Lactobacillus curvatus (9.7%), Lactobacillus brevis (35.5%), Lactobacillus sake (25.8%), and Lactobacillus plantarum (16.1%). Thus, 51.6% of the isolates were homo-fermentative or facultative hetero-fermentative bacteria and the rest (48.4%) were hetero-fermentative bacteria. Among them L. brevis, L. curvatus, L. plantarum, and L. sake were investigated for their growth profile and metabolism characteristics in the fluid (submerged) model-medium modified according to the special conditions of fermented sausages. Relatively good growth properties were found for L. brevis, L. plantarum, and L. sake with maximum numbers of 8.18, 8.51 and 8.17cfu/ml, respectively, whereas L. curvatus could not adapt to the special environmental conditions. Regarding souring properties, L. brevis showed little ability to decrease pH, whereas L. curvatus, L. plantarum, and L. sake showed relatively good acidifying properties. According to the results of glucose fermentation and its products, only L. plantarum exhibited homo-fermentative characteristics. As a result only L. plantarum among the isolates from kimchi had an ability to adapt to the complex environment of fermented sausage, which will thereby allow them to act as starter cultures and natural preservatives in sausage production.

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center