Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 May;143(5):1043-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2011.07.004. Epub 2011 Aug 26.

Tricuspid valve surgery: the past 10 years from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) database.

Author information

1
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, 701 N First St—Room D318, Springfield, IL 62794-9638, USA. cvassileva@siumed.edu

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

The purpose of this study was to examine the trends in tricuspid valve surgery over time.

METHODS:

We used 10 years (1999-2008) of NIS data to examine the population of patients undergoing tricuspid valve repair or replacement (ICD-9-CM codes 35.14, 35.27, and 35.28).

RESULTS:

We identified 28,726 admissions for tricuspid valve surgery. The total number of tricuspid procedures more than doubled over the 10- year period (1712 cases in 1999 vs 4072 cases in 2008). Although the absolute number of repairs and replacements increased over time, the tricuspid repair rate increased whereas there was a corresponding decrease in tricuspid replacement rate. Isolated tricuspid valve surgery accounted for 20% of the total tricuspid cases, whereas tricuspid surgery as a concomitant procedure to other cardiac operations accounted for the remaining 80%. There was a trend toward increased use of tissue over mechanical valves for tricuspid replacement. Overall hospital mortality was 10.6%. Over time, mortality decreased significantly for both repair and replacement. Concomitant tricuspid replacement was associated with significantly higher hospital mortality than was isolated tricuspid replacement (16.1% vs 10.1%; P = .0001).

CONCLUSIONS:

There has been a dramatic increase in tricuspid interventions over time. This has been associated with an increase in tricuspid repair rates as well as use of bioprostheses for tricuspid replacement. The majority of tricuspid operations are performed concomitantly to other cardiac procedures. Mortality for tricuspid valve surgery remains considerable and significantly higher for replacement than for repair.

PMID:
21872283
DOI:
10.1016/j.jtcvs.2011.07.004
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center