Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Cancer Cytopathol. 2011 Aug 25;119(4):279-89. doi: 10.1002/cncy.20145. Epub 2011 Mar 16.

Digitized microscopy in the diagnosis of bladder cancer: analysis of >3000 cases during a 7-month period.

Author information

1
Ikonisys Inc, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) analysis of urine samples has proven to be a valuable adjunctive test to urine cytology for both diagnosis and monitoring recurrence of urothelial carcinoma. Automated FISH analysis has the potential to improve laboratory efficiency and to reduce interobserver and intraobserver variability, resulting in more accurate, reproducible, assay performance.

METHODS:

A total of 3200 slides containing urine specimens, hybridized with the UroVysion Bladder Cancer Kit (Abbott Molecular, Des Plaines, Illinois), a 4-probe set for chromosomes 3, 7, 17, and 9p21, was evaluated at Acupath Laboratories. The slides were analyzed over a 7-month period, using the Ikoniscope - oncoFISH bladder Test System (Ikonisys, New Haven, Connecticut).

RESULTS:

Analysis included the incorporation of a "flagging" system developed by Acupath Laboratories to identify cases, based on specific criteria, likely to benefit from further manual review. By using US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-cleared scoring criteria, 96.3% of the slides could be reported directly from the automated scan, requiring no manual review of the slide. For the remaining 3.7% of the samples (all of which were very hypocellular), a manual review of each slide subsequently allowed diagnoses to be successfully reported. The average scan time was 31.7 minutes, and the average slide scan review time was 8.3 minutes.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study demonstrated the value of an automated approach to the analysis of FISH slides, affording the benefit of high-throughput while providing the user with the necessary images and tools to quickly and accurately report a case.

PMID:
21413160
DOI:
10.1002/cncy.20145
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Wiley
    Loading ...
    Support Center