Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Rev Esp Cardiol. 2011 Apr;64(4):286-94. doi: 10.1016/j.recesp.2010.10.030. Epub 2011 Mar 15.

[Prevalence and characteristics of lipid abnormalities in patients treated with statins in primary and secondary prevention in Spain. DYSIS-Spain Study].

[Article in Spanish]

Author information

1
Servicio de Cardiología, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, España. jose.ramon.gonzalez.juanatey@sergas.es

Abstract

INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVES:

Patients at high risk of suffering cardiovascular events require medical treatment to optimize their lipid profile. The present analysis evaluates the lipid profiles among Spanish patients receiving statin therapy in the international DYSIS study.

METHODS:

DYSIS is a multinational cross-sectional study carried out in Canada and Europe (n=22,063). In Spain, 3710 patients treated with statin therapy for at least 3 months were included. We compared data relating to demographic parameters and cardiovascular risk profile.

RESULTS:

Complete lipid profiles of 3617 patients were recorded. Regarding the high cardiovascular risk patients with complete lipid profiles (n=2273), 78.9% had a disorder in at least one of the three main lipid parameters: low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDLc), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDLc) and/or triglycerides. LDLc was not within target levels in 61.4% of these high risk patients; HDLc was abnormal in 25.3%, and triglycerides were elevated in 37.8%. Overall, LDLc was outside the target range in 63.1%, and 20.7% (n = 668) of those treated with statins were normal for all parameters.

CONCLUSIONS:

Most patients in this study who received statin therapy, particularly those at high cardiovascular risk, were not at the normal lipid parameter levels according to cardiovascular guidelines. Although it is necessary to wait for the final results of current studies on the use of combined lipid-modifying treatments, the management of lipid levels in Spain still has potential for improvement.

PMID:
21411216
DOI:
10.1016/j.recesp.2010.10.030
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Ediciones Doyma, S.L.
Loading ...
Support Center