Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Endovasc Ther. 2011 Feb;18(1):13-21. doi: 10.1583/10-3248.1.

Outback catheter for femoropopliteal occlusions: immediate and long-term results.

Author information

1
Centre of Vascular Medicine, Angiology and Vascular Surgery, Park Hospital Leipzig, Germany. ybausback@yahoo.de

Abstract

PURPOSE:

To report a retrospective, single-center study that evaluates technical and clinical outcomes from subintimal recanalization of femoropopliteal chronic total occlusions (CTO) facilitated by the Outback re-entry catheter.

METHODS:

The Outback catheter was required to complete recanalization of femoropopliteal CTOs (mean lesion length 195 ± 91 mm) in 118 limbs of 113 patients (77 men; mean age 70 ± 10 years). In 80/118 (67.8%) limbs, treatment was performed for claudication and in the remaining 38 (32.2%) for critical limb ischemia (CLI). Technical and procedural success, clinical outcome, and cumulative patency rates in follow-up were evaluated.

RESULTS:

Re-entry was accomplished in 108/118 limbs (91.5%) with recanalization completed in 107/118 (90.7%). Of these, only 61/107 (57%) arteries were left with a residual stenosis <30%. Complications included minor bleeding of the target vessel (5/118, 4.2%) and minor hematoma/pseudoaneurysm at the access site (6/118, 5.1%). Acute reocclusion developed in 2/118 cases (1.7%) without major complication. After 12 months, primary patency was 56.7%, assisted primary patency 83.1%, and secondary patency 89.1%. Primary patency was significantly reduced in limbs with residual stenosis. Over a median 15-month follow-up (range 2-32), 4 major and 2 minor amputations were performed in patients with CLI.

CONCLUSION:

The Outback catheter is a reliable tool to recanalize challenging chronic femoropopliteal occlusions after failed guidewire re-entry. Restenosis rates are high, which may be due to the severity and extent of disease in these patients, who are particularly challenging.

PMID:
21314343
DOI:
10.1583/10-3248.1
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Atypon
Loading ...
Support Center