Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Int J Biol Macromol. 1990 Feb;12(1):25-33.

Single crystals of V amylose complexed with isopropanol and acetone.

Author information

1
Laboratoire de Physicochimie des Macromolécules, INRA, Nantes, France.

Abstract

Single crystals of amylose complexed with isopropanol or acetone were prepared by adding these precipitants to a metastable aqueous solution of amylose. With both precipitants, similar micrometre sized platelet crystals were obtained. They gave indistinguishable electron diffraction diagrams which could be indexed in an orthorhombic unit cell, with a = 28.26 A, b = 29.30 A, c = 8.01 A and in a space group P2(1)2(1)2(1) or P2(1)2(1)2. Within the unit cell, the amylose chains are organized in antiparallel pairs of parallel 6(5) amylose helices occupying 70% of the cell content, the remaining 30% consisting of isopropanol/acetone and water, with an estimate of 10 isopropanol/acetone molecules for 52 water molecules per unit cell. If the crystals are suspended in pure isopropanol at various temperatures or in pure methanol at room temperature, they undergo a de-solvation process that ultimately converts them into VH amylose. De-solvation with isopropanol left the crystals intact whereas with methanol, they became cracked during the shrinkage. An explanation is proposed for such difference.

PMID:
2083238
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center