Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010 Aug 26;10:78. doi: 10.1186/1471-2288-10-78.

Interpretation of evidence in data by untrained medical students: a scenario-based study.

Author information

1
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland and Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland. thomas.perneger@hcuge.ch

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

To determine which approach to assessment of evidence in data - statistical tests or likelihood ratios - comes closest to the interpretation of evidence by untrained medical students.

METHODS:

Empirical study of medical students (N = 842), untrained in statistical inference or in the interpretation of diagnostic tests. They were asked to interpret a hypothetical diagnostic test, presented in four versions that differed in the distributions of test scores in diseased and non-diseased populations. Each student received only one version. The intuitive application of the statistical test approach would lead to rejecting the null hypothesis of no disease in version A, and to accepting the null in version B. Application of the likelihood ratio approach led to opposite conclusions - against the disease in A, and in favour of disease in B. Version C tested the importance of the p-value (A: 0.04 versus C: 0.08) and version D the importance of the likelihood ratio (C: 1/4 versus D: 1/8).

RESULTS:

In version A, 7.5% concluded that the result was in favour of disease (compatible with p value), 43.6% ruled against the disease (compatible with likelihood ratio), and 48.9% were undecided. In version B, 69.0% were in favour of disease (compatible with likelihood ratio), 4.5% against (compatible with p value), and 26.5% undecided. Increasing the p value from 0.04 to 0.08 did not change the results. The change in the likelihood ratio from 1/4 to 1/8 increased the proportion of non-committed responses.

CONCLUSIONS:

Most untrained medical students appear to interpret evidence from data in a manner that is compatible with the use of likelihood ratios.

PMID:
20796297
PMCID:
PMC2940883
DOI:
10.1186/1471-2288-10-78
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for BioMed Central Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Support Center