Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Opt Express. 2010 Aug 2;18(16):17477-83. doi: 10.1364/OE.18.017477.

Increased OLED radiative efficiency using a directive optical antenna.

Author information

1
1University of Utah, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA. steve.mcdaniel@utah.edu

Abstract

We investigate the improvement in efficiency of organic light emitting diodes/displays (OLEDs) by embedding a typical OLED structure within a metallic patch grating resonator. A patch grating resonator is similar to the more familiar Fabry-Perot resonator, except that one mirror of the resonator is a metallic patch grating with a pitch approximately lambda /2 that reduces lateral propagation of radiative emission. FDTD simulations of the proposed structure indicate a potential 71% increase in emitted power over that of a reference OLED structure, and an additional 5% gain from adding an ITO spacer adjacent to the metallic electrode layer (for a total 76% increase). Implementation of this structure requires little to no modification of the OLED manufacturing process.

PMID:
20721132
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Optical Society of America
Loading ...
Support Center