Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Sleep Breath. 2010 Sep;14(3):241-4. doi: 10.1007/s11325-009-0306-y. Epub 2009 Oct 8.

Impact of CPAP treatment on cardiac biomarkers and pro-BNP in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.

Author information

1
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gaziantep, Gaziantep, Turkey.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate the effect of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy on pro-brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) and cardiac markers in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and normal cardiac function.

METHODS:

Thirty-three consecutive patients with sleep apnea syndrome were analysed for serum pro-BNP and cardiac markers prior to and after 6 months of CPAP therapy.

RESULTS:

Twenty five patients had normal (83.3%) while remaining five (16.7%) revealed high pro-BNP values. We did not detect any significant difference between severity of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and serum pro-BNP levels (p = 0.534). A statistically significant difference was not observed between basal and sixth-month creatine kinase (CK), creatine kinase-MB (CK-MB), troponin I, pro-BNP, aspartate transaminase (AST), and CK levels in patients with sleep apnea syndrome (p > 0.05).

CONCLUSION:

Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome does not induce myocardial damage enough to increase serum pro-BNP, CK, CK-MB, troponin I, and AST levels. Markers sensitive to ischemia could be preferred to evaluate effect of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.

PMID:
19813037
DOI:
10.1007/s11325-009-0306-y
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center