Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Cephalalgia. 2009 Nov;29(11):1224-31. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2982.2009.01855.x. Epub 2009 Apr 9.

Genetic association study of endothelin-1 and its receptors EDNRA and EDNRB in migraine with aura.

Author information

1
Institute of Molecular Medicine in Finland, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland. paivi.j.tikka@helsinki.fi

Abstract

The effect of endothelin-1 and its receptors EDNRA and EDNRB in migraine with aura (MA) susceptibility is not established yet. We studied the association between the MA end-diagnosis and three migraine trait components and 32 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) capturing the variation of endothelin genes in 850 Finnish migraine patients and 890 non-migrainous individuals. The SNPs showing evidence of association were further studied in 648 German migraine patients and 651 non-migrainous individuals. No significant association was detected. However, the homozygous minor genotype (5% in cases) of the EDNRA SNP rs2048894 showed nominal association with MA both in the Finnish sample (P = 0.015) and in the pooled sample [odds ratio (OR) 1.61, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.12-2.32, P = 0.010] when adjusted for gender and sample origin. The trait age of onset < 20 years was also associated with rs2048894 (OR 1.69, 95% CI 1.13-2.54, P = 0.011) in the pooled sample. To confirm this finding studies on even larger samples are required.

PMID:
19558538
PMCID:
PMC2759776
DOI:
10.1111/j.1468-2982.2009.01855.x
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Atypon Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Support Center