Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2008 Jul-Sep;9(3):391-6.

Effect of genetic predisposition on the risk of gallbladder cancer in Hungary.

Author information

  • 1Department of Community Preventive Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan.


A CYP1A1 polymorphism has been associated with an increased risk for gallbladder cancer (GBC) in Japanese women. However, genetic risk factors for GBC in Hungary, where the population has a relatively high GBC incidence, has not been well studied. We therefore tested associations between CYP1A1 T3801C, CYP1A1 Ile462Val, GSTM1deletion, and TP53 Arg72Pro and GBC in Hungary. Genomic DNA was extracted from peripheral blood of 100 controls (52 men and 48 women) and from the tissue embedded in paraffin of 43 cases (6 men and 37 women). The case-control analysis was limited to females due to a small number of males. Of 37 female cases, 21 (56.8%) were diagnosed as adenocarcinoma, and the remaining 16 (43.2%) were classified as non-adenocarcinoma. The odds ratios (ORs) for the Ile/Val genotype and the Val allele were 8.9 (95% CI: 2.9-27.4) and 4.4 (95% CI: 1.7-11.1), respectively. The occurrence of the combined variant genotypes of CYP1A1 Ile462Val and GSTM1 (37.8% vs. 8.3%) or CYP1A1 Ile462Val and TP53 Arg72Pro (24.3% vs. 0%) was significantly higher in the cases than in the controls. The Ile/Val genotype was significantly associated with an increased risk of adenocarcinoma (OR 9.2; 95% CI: 2.6-32.6) and non-adenocarcinoma (OR 8.4; 95% CI: 2.2-32.4). Additionally, the Arg/Pro genotype increased risk of non-adenocarcinoma (OR 3.8; 95% CI: 1.2-12.8). The Val allele may contribute to the development of GBC not only in Japanese but also in Hungarian women. Our results provide a rationale for further studies of genetic variation on the risk of GBC in Hungary.

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Asian Pacific Organization for Cancer Prevention
    Loading ...
    Support Center