Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2008 Dec;32(8):728-31. doi: 10.1016/j.compmedimag.2008.09.001. Epub 2008 Oct 29.

Rupture of the medial gastrocnemius muscle during namaz praying: an unusual cause of tennis leg.

Author information

1
Ministry of Health, Izmir Training and Research Hospital, Department of Radiology, Bozyaka, Izmir, Turkey. cengizyilmaz66@yahoo.com

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The aim of this retrospective study is to report a unique group of patients in whom rupture of the medial gastrocnemius muscle (tennis leg) occurred during namaz praying.

MATERIAL AND METHODS:

We reviewed the sonographic and/or MR imaging findings of 543 patients who were referred for the evaluation of leg pain and swelling during the last 7 years. Fourteen patients with a final diagnosis of tennis leg that occured during namaz praying were included in this study.

RESULTS:

Nine of 14 (64.2%) patients had incomplete and the remainder 5 (35.8%) patients had a partial tear at the musculotendinous junction (MTJ). Four of 14 (28.6%) patients were mistaken for deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on the basis of clinical findings and presentation. Associated fluid collection between the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle was noted in 11 (78.5%) patients. Isolated fluid collection between the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle without disruption of the gastrocnemius muscle was seen in 1 patient.

CONCLUSION:

Rupture of the medial gastrocnemius muscle may occur during namaz praying. The clinical presentation is not always characteristic and may simulate DVT. US and MRI are useful diagnostic tools to establish the correct diagnosis and prompt further treatment.

[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center