Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Clin Virol. 2008 Sep;43(1):123-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003. Epub 2008 Jun 24.

Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection.

Author information

1
Virology, Genomic Epidemiology Research Group, School of Translational Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, M13 9WL, UK. Bahman.Abedi-Kiasari@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The role of two recently identified polyomaviruses, KI and WU, in the causation of respiratory disease has not been established.

OBJECTIVES:

To determine the prevalence of KI and WU viruses (KIV and WUV) in 371 respiratory samples and evaluate their contribution to respiratory disease.

STUDY DESIGN:

Specimens were screened for KIV and WUV using single, multiplex or real time PCR; co-infection with other respiratory viruses was evaluated.

RESULTS:

Of the 371 samples analysed, 10 (2.70%) were positive for KIV and 4 (1.08%) were positive for WUV yielding an overall case prevalence of KIV and WUV infection of 3.77%. KIV and WUV were identified in patients aged<15 years (11 patients) with upper or lower respiratory tract infection and >45 years (3 patients) with upper respiratory tract infection. Co-infections were found in 5 (50%) and 3 (75%) of the KIV and WUV positive samples, respectively.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study supports previous conclusions that KIV and WUV detection in the respiratory tract may be coincidental and reflect reactivation of latent or persistent infection with these viruses. The age distribution of KIV and WUV infection in this study mirrors that found for the other human polyomaviruses, BK and JC.

PMID:
18573691
DOI:
10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center