Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Acta Otolaryngol. 2008 Jun;128(6):680-4. doi: 10.1080/00016480701636884.

Hyoidthyroidpexia as a treatment in multilevel surgery for obstructive sleep apnea.

Author information

1
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Foundation IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia. m.benazzo@smatteo.pv.it

Abstract

CONCLUSION:

This type of surgery is effective in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS), but may not be effective in obese patients or those with a preoperative apnea hypopnea index (AHI)>35. For these reasons, the careful study and selection of patients is fundamental in the surgical treatment of OSAS.

OBJECTIVES:

Evaluation of the efficacy of hyoid surgery combined with oropharynx and nose surgery in the treatment of OSAS.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS:

A total of 109 OSAS patients underwent hyoidthyroidpexia as a treatment in multilevel surgery. Before surgery all patients were treated with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy for at least 6 months and underwent preoperative and postoperative polysomnography. The preoperative examination was composed of upper airways endoscopy, lateral cephalometric radiograph, calculation of body mass index (BMI), and subjective analysis of daytime sleepiness.

RESULTS:

In all, 67/109 patients (61.5%) with postoperative AHI<20 were defined as 'responders', while the other 42 patients (38.5%) were defined as 'non-responders'. The correlation between preoperative BMI and postoperative AHI revealed that non-responders had a much higher average BMI compared with responders. Moreover, when analyzing median preoperative and postoperative AHI, it emerged that non-responders had a much higher preoperative AHI compared with responders.

PMID:
18568505
DOI:
10.1080/00016480701636884
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Taylor & Francis
Loading ...
Support Center