Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2008 Feb;63(1):15-20.

Importance and repercussions of renal and cardiovascular pathology on stroke in young adults: an anatomopathologic study of 52 clinical necropsies.

Author information

1
Servicio de Anatomía Patológica y Nefrología, Hospital General del Sur Dr. Pedro Iturbe, Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas - Laboratorio de Microscopía Electrónica, Universidad del Zulia, Venezuela.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Stroke in young adults has seldom been studied in a necropsy series. The objective of the present clinical necropsy-based investigation was to analyze stroke and its relationship with cardiovascular and renal pathology in young adults.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

The protocols of 52 clinical necropsies with diagnoses of stroke in patients aged 18 - 49 years, performed between the years 1990-2006, were reviewed.

RESULTS:

Hemorrhagic stroke was diagnosed in 36 patients (69.3%), whereas the remaining 16 (30.7%) had ischemic stroke. Hypertensive cardiopathy was evident in 88.4% of the cases. Chronic renal pathology, directly or indirectly related to hypertension, was observed in 55.7% of the patients. Ischemic stroke as a result of occlusive atherosclerotic disease was seen in 50% of cases. Cardiogenic emboli were found in 25% of the cadavers. Hemorrhagic stroke was associated with hypertension in 43% of the cases, with ruptured vascular malformations in 29%, and coagulopathies in 17% of the cases. Hypertensive cardiopathy was present in patients with either ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke (81.2% and 91.6%, respectively). The most frequently observed renal ailments were chronic pyelonephritis (23%) and nephrosclerosis (21.1%). These were associated with ischemic stroke in 43.7%, and 12.5% of the cases, respectively, and with 13.8% and 25% of the hemorrhagic stroke cases.

DISCUSSION:

Hypertensive cardiopathy, occlusive atherosclerotic disease, chronic pyelonephritis and nephrosclerosis are among the pathophysiologycal mechanisms that apparently and eventually interact to induce a significant number of cases of stroke in young adults. A chronic systemic inflammatory state appears to be an important related condition because it possibly constitutes an accelerant of the pathophysiologycal process.

PMID:
18297202
PMCID:
PMC2664177
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Scientific Electronic Library Online Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Support Center