Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Digestion. 2007;76(3-4):192-5. doi: 10.1159/000112645. Epub 2007 Dec 21.

Manometric evaluation of the esophagus in patients with Behçet's disease.

Author information

1
Department of Gastroenterology, Ibni Sina Hospital, Ankara University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey. mbektas70@hotmail.com

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Gastrointestinal (GI) involvement in Behçet's disease (BD) mainly appears in mucosa and affects 5-40% of patients, however the effects of the disease on lower esophageal sphincter (LES) pressure and esophageal contractions are not well known. The aims of this study were to evaluate esophageal motor function and to identify whether there was any specific motility pattern for patients with BD who had upper GI symptoms without endoscopic abnormality.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

25 patients with BD, with a mean age of 43.1 (range 20-66) years, were admitted to our clinic whose main complaints were dyspeptic such as reflux, epigastric pain, vomiting and bloating. 25 healthy and age-matched individuals were also included in the study as controls. After one night fasting, LES pressure and esophageal contractions were measured.

RESULTS:

Esophageal motor abnormalities were detected in 16% (4/25) of these patients with manometric studies (non-specific esophageal motor disorder in 1, esophageal hypomotility in 2, and LES hypotension in 1 patient); 16% (4/25) of these patients had endoscopic findings and overall 32% (8/25) of the cases showed esophageal pathology. All cases with esophageal motor abnormalities were suffering from reflux and endoscopy showed grade B esophagitis in 2 of these cases. Median LES pressure and LES relaxation were significantly lower in patients with BD compared to the control group (16.8 +/- 10.5 vs. 20.4 +/- 6.1, p = 0.02, and 92.1 +/- 10.1 vs. 96.4 +/- 4.5, p = 0.03 respectively).

CONCLUSION:

Esophageal involvement in BD is significantly high. We propose manometric studies are necessary to evaluate esophageal manifestations in BD patients with esophageal symptoms even without endoscopic findings.

PMID:
18174679
DOI:
10.1159/000112645
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for S. Karger AG, Basel, Switzerland
    Loading ...
    Support Center