Format

Send to

Choose Destination
BMC Public Health. 2007 Nov 20;7:337.

Sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic and opioid medicament use and its co-occurrence with tobacco smoking and alcohol risk drinking in a community sample.

Author information

1
University of Greifswald, Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Walter-Rathenau-Str, 48, D-17487 Greifswald, Germany. ujohn@uni-greifswald.de

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic and opioid medicament (SO) use and its relation to tobacco smoking and alcohol risk drinking is largely unknown. Prevalence data for SO intake and its co-occurrence with tobacco smoking and alcohol risk drinking considering age are presented.

METHODS:

Random general population sample of individuals aged 20-79 drawn from a mixed rural and urban area in Germany (Study of Health in Pomerania, SHIP). All medicament intake during the past 7 days prior to the interview was assessed according to the Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical classification as part of an interview conducted in a health examination center.

RESULTS:

Among men, 3.0%, and among women 5.0% took SO. The proportion of SO users was higher (odds ratio 1.9; 95% confidence interval 1.1-3.4) whereas the proportions of current cigarette smokers and alcohol risk drinkers without SO use were lower among individuals aged 60-79 compared to those aged 20-39. The proportion of individuals with smoking, alcohol risk drinking or SO use was also lower among those aged 60-79 compared to the 20-39 year olds.

CONCLUSION:

Although proportions of SO users in older adult age are higher than in younger adult age there are less subjects with any of the 3 substance use behaviors at older adult age compared to age 20-39.

PMID:
18021460
PMCID:
PMC2213670
DOI:
10.1186/1471-2458-7-337
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for BioMed Central Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center