Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Bone Marrow Transplant. 2007 Dec;40(11):1045-8. Epub 2007 Oct 8.

High-dose chemotherapy with peripheral blood progenitor cell support for patients with non-small cell lung cancer: the experience of the European Group for Bone Marrow Transplantation (EBMT) Solid Tumours Working Party.

Author information

1
Istituto Oncologico Romagnolo-Santa Maria delle Croci Hospital, Ravenna, Italy. ugo_degiorgi@yahoo.com

Abstract

We report the experience of the EBMT Solid Tumours Working Party (STWP) using high-dose chemotherapy (HDCT) with PBPC support in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Between 1989 and 2004, 36 NSCLC patients (27 men and 9 women), median age 53.5 years (range: 24-62) were treated with 63 HDCT courses. A high-dose carboplatin-based regimen was used in 53% of the cases. Thirty-two patients had relapsed/metastatic disease, while four classified as stage IIIB received HDCT followed by radiotherapy. No treatment-related death occurred. Of 25 patients who were planned to receive multi-cycle HDCT, 4 cases (16%) interrupted the treatment early due to prolonged severe toxicities and 4 (16%) due to progressive disease. Of 36 evaluable patients, 3 (8%) achieved a complete remission and 13 (36%) had a partial remission at an overall response rate of 44%. Of these, one patient with stage IIIB and one with stage IV are alive disease free at 71+ and 149+ months, respectively. After a median follow-up of 48 months (range: 6-149), median survival was 7 months (range: 1-149). Despite one anecdotal case, HDCT did not show significant activity, but induced relevant morbidity in NSCLC patients.

PMID:
17922037
DOI:
10.1038/sj.bmt.1705880
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Nature Publishing Group
    Loading ...
    Support Center