Send to

Choose Destination
Pediatr Cardiol. 2008 Jan;29(1):24-30. Epub 2007 Sep 12.

Anomalous origin of a coronary artery from the opposite sinus of Valsalva with an interarterial course: clinical profile and approach to management in the pediatric population.

Author information

Division of Cardiology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, M5G 1X8, Toronto, ON, Canada.


An anomalous origin of a coronary artery from the opposite sinus of Valsalva with an interarterial course (interarterial coronary artery [IACA]) is a rare congenital anomaly associated with sudden cardiac death. The cardiac and surgical databases at a single pediatric institution were reviewed for a description of the clinical profiles and associated risk factors of this coronary anomaly. From 1994 to 2006, IACA was diagnosed for 31 patients with a median age of 6.2 years (range, birth to 16 years). The symptoms for 6 (19%) of the 10 patients (32%) presenting with symptoms were deemed to be cardiac in origin. The symptoms for the remaining 21 patients (68%) were incidental findings. Of the 31 patients, 29 (94%) had normal resting electrocardiograms (ECG). A total of 17 patients underwent dobutamine stress echo. None had wall motion abnormalities, but two had ECG changes indicating ischemia, and 4 had abnormal coronary flow, as detected by Doppler echocardiography. Seven patients, with either acute symptoms or testing suggestive of ischemia, underwent surgery. All seven had an interarterial left main coronary artery. There was one cardiac-related death. No sudden death was found in either the surgery or nonsurgery group during the mean follow-up period of 23 and 58 months, respectively. Whether surgical intervention modifies the natural history of the anomaly or not remains to be determined.

[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center