Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Am J Surg Pathol. 2007 Apr;31(4):529-35.

Verruca vulgaris of the vulva in children and adults: a nonvenereal type of vulvar wart.

Author information

  • 1Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH, USA.


Condyloma acuminata are common lesions of the vulva in adults, and associated with infection by human papillomavirus (HPV) types 6 and 11, which are acquired via sexual contact. The detection of an HPV 6/11 condyloma in the genital tract of a child, therefore, raises the question of sexual abuse. In this study, 29 genital warts in girls less than 5 years of age were examined for nongenital and genital tract HPVs by in situ hybridization. These results were compared with 275 vulvar lesions clinically suspicious for condyloma from adults. Of the 27 HPV-related lesions in young girls, 11 (41%) were due to HPV 2 whereas the other 16 (59%) were associated with HPV 6/11 infection. Of the 214/275 (78%) HPV positive vulvar lesions in adults, 6 (3%) were due to HPV 2 whereas 202/214 (94%) contained HPVs 6/11; 1 lesion contained HPV 16 and the 5 other lesions contained HPV 42, 43, or 44. Histologic correlation documented that the vulvar lesions positive for HPV 2 commonly showed the marked hyperkeratosis typical of verruca vulgaris. However, the verrucous pattern was present in lesions HPV 6/11 positive. It is concluded that verruca vulgaris of the vulva, which is likely not transmitted sexually, can occur, albeit rarely, in the genital tract of women and is common in the genital tracts of young girls. This highlights the value of HPV testing in such cases, especially if the histologic changes are consistent with verruca vulgaris.

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
    Loading ...
    Support Center