Format

Send to

Choose Destination
FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2007 Mar;59(3):683-93.

Effect of process temperature on bacterial and archaeal communities in two methanogenic bioreactors treating organic household waste.

Author information

1
Department of Microbiology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden. lotta.leven@mikrob.slu.se

Abstract

The bacterial and archaeal community structure was examined in two methanogenic anaerobic digestion processes degrading organic household waste at mesophilic (37 degrees C) and thermophilic (55 degrees C) temperatures. Analysis of bacterial clone libraries revealed a predominance of Bacteroidetes (34% of total clones) and Chloroflexi (27%) at the mesophilic temperature. In contrast, in the thermophilic clone library, the major group of clones were affiliated with Thermotogae (61%). Within the domain Archaea, the phyla Euryarchaeota and Crenarchaeota were both represented, the latter only at the mesophilic temperature. The dominating archaeons grouped with Methanospirillum and Methanosarcina species at the mesophilic and thermophilic temperature, respectively. Generally, there was a higher frequency of different sequences at the lower temperature, suggesting a higher diversity compared to the community present at the thermophilic temperature. Furthermore, it was not only the species richness that was affected by temperature, but also the phylogenetic distribution of the microbial populations.

[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Silverchair Information Systems Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center