Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Neuromuscul Disord. 2007 May;17(5):385-91. Epub 2007 Mar 1.

The effect of respiratory muscle endurance training in patients with myasthenia gravis.

Author information

1
Carl Ludwig Institute of Physiology, University of Leipzig, Liebigstrasse 27, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany.

Abstract

We tested the effect of a home-based respiratory muscle endurance training in patients with mild to moderate generalized myasthenia gravis (MG) on Besinger score, lung function and respiratory muscle endurance. Ten patients performed respiratory muscle endurance training in form of normocapnic hyperpnea training at 50-60% of their maximal voluntary ventilation over 4-6 weeks. MG score, lung function and respiratory endurance were assessed before and after training period. The training significantly increased respiratory endurance from 8.4+/-0.9 min to 17.1+/-1.3 min (p<0.001) and total ventilatory volume from 555+/-87 L to 1081+/-127 L (p=0.004). About 25% of this gain was lost after 3-5 months of detraining. The remaining 75% gain might result from improved neuromuscular coordination rather than muscular training. MG score and lung function, however, did not change. Patients assessed the training effects on physical fitness and respiration as positive. In conclusion, respiratory muscle endurance training can be useful for MG patients as it is enhancing respiratory muscle endurance.

PMID:
17336068
DOI:
10.1016/j.nmd.2007.01.001
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center