Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Food Chem Toxicol. 2006 Nov;44(11):1897-900. Epub 2006 Jul 4.

Occurrence of aflatoxin M1 in UHT milk in Turkey.

Author information

1
Selcuk University, Education Faculty, 42090 Konya, Turkey. nurhanunusan@gmail.com

Abstract

Aflatoxin M1 (AFM1) appears in milk as a direct result of the ingestion of food contaminated with aflatoxin B1 by cattle. The role of milk in human nutrition is well-known. The purpose of the study was to determine the levels of AFM1 in UHT milk samples in Central Anatolia, Turkey. The occurrence of AFM1 contamination in UHT milk samples was investigated by ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay) technique. A total of 129 samples of commercial UHT whole milk were analysed. The mean value was 108.17 ng/L. There was a high incidence rate of AFM1, with 75 (58.1%) milk samples being contaminated. Although 68 (53%) were below the limit, the remaining 61 (47%) were well above the limit permitted by the EU. Four of the samples exceeded the prescribed limit of US regulations. It can be concluded that AFM1 levels in the samples purchased in Central Anatolia Region, appear to be a serious public health problem at the moment. Dairy farmers must be educated by the government authorities on potential health consequences of aflatoxins.

PMID:
16893597
DOI:
10.1016/j.fct.2006.06.010
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center