Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Gen Virol. 2006 Mar;87(Pt 3):537-51.

Genome sequence of an enhancin gene-rich nucleopolyhedrovirus (NPV) from Agrotis segetum: collinearity with Spodoptera exigua multiple NPV.

Author information

1
Department of Biological Control and Quarantine, Institute of Plant Protection, Miczurina 20, Poznan 60-318, Poland.

Abstract

The genome sequence of a Polish isolate of Agrotis segetum nucleopolyhedrovirus (AgseNPV-A) was determined and analysed. The circular genome is composed of 147,544 bp and has a G+C content of 45.7 mol%. It contains 153 putative, non-overlapping open reading frames (ORFs) encoding predicted proteins of more than 50 aa, together making up 89.8 % of the genome. The remaining 10.2 % of the DNA constitutes non-coding regions and homologous-repeat regions. One hundred and forty-three AgseNPV-A ORFs are homologues of previously reported baculovirus gene sequences. There are ten unique ORFs and they account for 3 % of the genome in total. All 62 lepidopteran baculovirus genes, including the 29 core baculovirus genes, were found in the AgseNPV-A genome. The gene content and gene order of AgseNPV-A are most similar to those of Spodoptera exigua (Se) multiple NPV and their shared homologous genes are 100 % collinear. Three putative enhancin genes were identified in the AgseNPV-A genome. In phylogenetic analysis, the AgseNPV-A enhancins form a cluster separated from enhancins of the Mamestra species NPVs.

PMID:
16476975
DOI:
10.1099/vir.0.81461-0
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Ingenta plc
Loading ...
Support Center