Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Neurology. 2005 Feb 8;64(3):509-13.

Genetic association between the APOE*4 allele and Lewy bodies in Alzheimer disease.

Author information

1
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, USA. dwt1@u.washington.edu

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To explore the association between APOE*4 and pathologically confirmed cases of the Lewy body (LB) variant of Alzheimer disease (AD).

METHODS:

With use of alpha-synuclein (AS) immunohistochemistry, LBs were detected in 74 of 131 (56.5%) of the AD + LB cases; the remaining 57 cases (43.5%) did not have LBs.

RESULTS:

There were no differences in gender or age between Caucasian subjects with AD + LB or AD alone or control subjects. The APOE*4 allele frequency was highest in the AD + LB group (47.3%; 95% CI = 37.8 to 57.0%), intermediate in the AD-alone group (35.1%; 95% CI = 25.3 to 46.3%), and lowest in the control group (14.2%; 95% CI = 10.5 to 18.9%). With use of logistic regression analysis, the odds of having AD + LB vs AD alone were 2.1-fold (95% CI = 1.0 to 4.5, p = 0.055) greater in persons with an APOE*4 allele than in those without an APOE*4 allele.

CONCLUSION:

The APOE*4 allele is associated with the presence of concomitant Lewy bodies in Alzheimer disease.

[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Support Center