Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Ai Zheng. 2004 Dec;23(12):1696-9.

[Efficacy of imatinib mesylate, a specific inhibitor of BCR/ABL tyrosine kinase, on chronic myeloid leukemia in blast phase].

[Article in Chinese]

Author information

1
Department of Hematology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510080, P.R. China. zhangguocai1946@21cn.com

Abstract

BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVE:

Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in blast phase is refractory with a poor prognosis. This study was to evaluate efficacy of imatinib mesylate, a specific inhibitor of BCR/ABL tyrosine kinase, on CML in blast phase.

METHODS:

Nineteen patients with CML in blast phase (imatinib treatment group) received induction of cytarabine-based standard chemotherapy for 2 cycles, and 400 mg/d of imatinib mesylate for 4 weeks. Patients with no remission received 600 mg/d of imatinib mesylate for another 8 weeks. Treatment of 600 mg/d of imatinib mesylate was maintained if it showed effects after 8 weeks, otherwise it would be stopped. Twenty-two patients with CML in blast phase (historical control group) received inducement of cytarabine-based chemotherapy for 2 cycles, and other regimens of consolidation or continuous induction.

RESULTS:

Sixteen patients of imatinib treatment group achieved no hematologic remission after induction. After treated with imatinib mesylate, 6 of 16 (38%) achieved hematologic complete remission (CHR), and major cytogenetic response; 2 of 16(13%) achieved hematologic partial remission (PHR); 1 of 16 (6%) returned to chronic phase with minor cytogenetic response. Total hematologic response rate of imatinib treatment group was 57%; 1-year survival rate was 38% (6/16). Eighteen patients of historical control group achieved no hematologic remission after inducement. After treated with other regimens, 2 (11%) achieved CHR, and 1 (6%) achieved PHR. Total hematologic response rate of historical control group was 17%; 1-year survival rate was 6%(1/18), significantly lower than that of imatinib treatment group (P< 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS:

Imatinib mesylate may have anti-leukemic activity, and prolong survival time of patients with CML in blast phase. But problems of tumor relapse, and drug resistance are still present.

PMID:
15601563
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center