Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Am J Sports Med. 1992 Mar-Apr;20(2):157-61.

Long-term functional results of the modified Bristow procedure for recurrent dislocations of the shoulder.

Author information

1
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge Hospital, Sweden.

Abstract

Subjective shoulder function, range of motion, isokinetic muscular performance, and radiographs were analyzed in 44 patients at an average follow-up time of 6 years after a Bristow-Latarjet procedure for recurrent dislocations of the shoulder. The injured shoulder was compared with the healthy side in each patient. Ninety-five percent of the patients considered mobility, strength, and stability of the operated shoulder as good or excellent. Totally, 32 of 44 patients (72%) had no pain or discomfort at all, while the remaining 12 (28%) complained of moderate exertional pain. Range of motion in extension, flexion, abduction, and internal and external rotation did not differ significantly between the injured and healthy sides. Nor did isokinetic peak torque at 30 and 90 deg/sec differ in extension, flexion, or internal and external rotation. The rate of healing of the implant did not seem to influence the functional outcome of surgery. Two patients suffered from recurrent dislocations. The Bristow-Latarjet procedure provided a good or excellent long-term functional result in patients with recurrent shoulder dislocations.

PMID:
1558243
DOI:
10.1177/036354659202000211
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Atypon
    Loading ...
    Support Center