Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Biomed Opt. 2004 Jul-Aug;9(4):828-34.

Low-intensity indocyanine-green laser phototherapy of acne vulgaris: pilot study.

Author information

1
Saratov State University, Optics Department, Astrakhanskaya 83, Saratov 410026, Russia. eagenina@optics.sgu.ru

Abstract

Near infrared (NIR) diode laser low-intensity (soft) phototherapy with the topical application of indocyanine green (ICG) has been suggested for treatment of acne vulgaris. Twelve volunteers with acne lesions on their faces and/or backs were enrolled in the experiment. Skin areas of the subjects that were 4 x 5 cm2 were stained with ICG solution for 5 min before laser irradiation (803 nm) at a power density up to 50 mW/cm2 for 5 to 10 min. For 75% of the subjects, a single treatment was provided and for the other 25%, eight sequential treatments over a period of a month were carried out. Observations a month after the completion of the treatment showed that only the multiple treatments with a combination of ICG and NIR irradiation reduced inflammation and improved the state of the skin for a month without any side effects. A month after treatment, the improvement was about 80% for the group receiving multiple treatments. Single treatments did not have a prolonged effect.

PMID:
15250771
DOI:
10.1117/1.1756596
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
    Loading ...
    Support Center