Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Arthroplasty. 2004 Jun;19(4 Suppl 1):111-4.

The dislocating hip: what to do, what to do.

Author information

1
London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada.

Abstract

Dislocation complicates between 1% and 3% of primary total hip arthroplasties (THAs) and 7% to 10% of revision procedures. Sixty percent of dislocations occur within the first 5 weeks. Closed reduction is successful in 67% of cases. If the hip keeps dislocating, revision surgery for instability is successful in only about 61% of patients. Many successful techniques have been described to deal with recurrent instability, including trochanteric advancement, modular component exchange, jumbo femoral heads, a bipolar or tripolar arthroplasty, or a constrained acetabular component. This article discusses the results of various surgical interventions and presents a treatment algorithm.

PMID:
15190564
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center