Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Urol Oncol. 2004 Jan-Feb;22(1):25-31.

LINAC radiosurgery for brain metastasis of renal cell carcinoma.

Author information

  • 1Department of Radiation Oncology, Groupe Pitié-Salpêtrière, AP-HP, 47-83, Bd de l'hôpital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France. noel@ipno.in2p3.fr

Abstract

The purpose of the study was to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of stereotactic radiotherapy in the treatment of the brain metastasis of renal cell carcinoma. From 1994 to 2001, 28 patients presenting with 65 metastases of renal cell cancer were treated by radiosurgery. Median age was 55 years (35-75), and median Karnofski performance status ranges between 50 and 100. Seven patients had received whole brain radiotherapy (WBRT) before radiosurgery. Twelve patients were treated by radiosurgery for 1 metastasis, 5 patients for two metastases and 6 for three, and 5 for more than three metastases. One procedure was performed in 22 patients and, 2 or 3 procedures for 6 patients. Median metastasis diameter was 19 mm (5-55 mm). Median metastasis volume was 1.28 cc (0.02-28 cc). Irradiation was delivered by linear accelerator. Median minimal dose (on the 70% isodose) was 14.7 Gy (10.8 Gy, 19.5 Gy), median maximal dose (at the isocenter) 20.5 Gy (14.3 Gy, 39.6 Gy). Median follow-up was 14 months (1-33). Two metastases progressed (3%), 2 and 12 months after radiosurgery. Overall, crude local control rate was 97% and 3-, 6- and 12-month local control rates were 98% +/- 2%, 98% +/- 2%, and 93% +/- 5%, respectively. In univariate analysis, no prognostic factor of local control was retrieved. Median brain disease-free survival was 25 months after RS. the 3-, 6- and 12-month distant brain control rates were 91% +/- 4%, 91% +/- 4%, and 70% +/- 12%, respectively. Median survival duration was 11 months. The 3-, 6-, 12- and 24-month overall survival rates were 82% +/- 7%, 67% +/- 9%, 48% +/- 10%, and 33% +/- 10%, respectively. According to univariate analysis, only site of metastasis was overall survival prognostic factor. Radiosurgery for brain metastasis of renal cell carcinoma is an effective and accurate treatment. The use of radiosurgery alone is an appropriate management strategy for many patients with brain metastasis of renal cell carcinoma. Radiosurgery is efficient even after development of new metastasis appearing after WBRT.

PMID:
14969800
DOI:
10.1016/S1078-1439(03)00104-2
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center