Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jan;89(1):71-5.

Increased prevalence of regurgitant valvular heart disease in acromegaly.

Author information

  • 1Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands. a.m.pereira@lumc.nl

Abstract

Cardiac involvement is common in acromegaly, but the prevalence of valvular abnormalities in patients with acromegaly has not been documented and is the topic of this study. In a prospective study design, 40 consecutive patients with acromegaly and 120 control subjects (matched for age, sex, hypertension, and left ventricular systolic function) were studied. All patients and controls were evaluated using conventional two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. Significant valve disease was more prevalent in acromegalics compared with controls (22% vs. 6.7%, respectively; P = 0.005). Aortic valve regurgitation (>/=>trace severity) was present in 30% of patients vs. 7% of controls (P < 0.001), and mitral regurgitation (>/=moderate severity) was absent in controls but present in 5% of acromegalics (P = 0.014 vs. controls). Binary logistic regression analysis showed a significant impact only for disease duration on valvular disease, with an odds ratio of 1.19 (95% confidence interval, 1.028-1.376; P = 0.019). Acromegaly is associated with an increased prevalence of regurgitant valvular heart disease. This is dependent on the duration of exposure to increased GH concentrations, with a 19% increase in odds per year. This increased prevalence of occult valvular disease indicates that these patients require appropriate follow-up care and monitoring, especially patients with inadequate control of GH overproduction.

PMID:
14715829
DOI:
10.1210/jc.2003-030849
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Atypon
    Loading ...
    Support Center