Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Endovasc Ther. 2003 Jun;10(3):397-405.

Long-term renal function following endovascular aneurysm repair with infrarenal and suprarenal aortic stent-grafts.

Author information

1
Division of Vascular Surgery, Nottingham University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, England, UK. pierrealric@hotmail.com

Abstract

PURPOSE:

To determine in a retrospective analysis the incidence of renal impairment (RI) following endovascular repair (EVR) of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), to assess the morbidity and mortality in endograft patients with preoperative RI, and to examine the impact of suprarenal stent-grafts on renal function.

METHODS:

From March 1994 to October 2001, 315 AAA patients (289 men; mean age 72.4+/-7.0 years) undergoing EVR were entered prospectively into a vascular registry. The patients received either an in-house custom-made stent-graft or one of several commercially made devices implanted with infrarenal or suprarenal fixation. Renal function was monitored by serum creatinine measurements prior to discharge and at 3, 6, and 12 months and annually thereafter. Preoperative RI was defined as a serum creatinine >130 micro mol/L and/or long-term dialysis. Postoperative RI referred to a >20% increase in the serum creatinine over baseline. Additional deterioration of renal function in patients with preoperative RI was referred to as postoperatively worsened RI.

RESULTS:

Of the 315 patients treated, 220 (69.8%) were considered high risk (ruptured AAA or ASA grade III or IV). Sixty-nine (21.9%) patients had preoperative RI (6 [1.9%] on preoperative dialysis). A suprarenal stent-graft was used in 169 (53.7%) patients and infrarenal stent-graft in the remaining 146 (46.3%). The mean follow-up was 30.1+/-22.7 months. Postoperative RI occurred in 53 (16.8%) patients (24 [7.6%] transient, 29 [9.2%] persistent). Patients with preoperative RI had a significantly higher incidence of postoperatively worsened RI (37.7% versus 11.0%, p<0.0001) and a higher mortality related to RI (7.2% versus 1.6%, p=0.02). Suprarenal fixation had no influence on the incidence of RI, on perioperative mortality, or on mortality related to RI. The only significant predictive factor of postoperative RI was preoperative RI (risk ratio 5.09, 95% CI 2.38 to 10.87, p=0.0001).

CONCLUSIONS:

Endovascular AAA repair may lead to persistent postoperative RI in nearly 10% of cases, especially in patients with preoperative RI. Suprarenal stent-graft fixation does not seem to have any deleterious effect on renal function. Further long-term studies are required to confirm the innocuous nature of transrenal stent placement.

PMID:
12932147
DOI:
10.1177/152660280301000301
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Atypon
    Loading ...
    Support Center