Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Aten Primaria. 2003 Mar 15;31(4):234-8.

[Vaccine coverage study and intervention with health community agents in a marginal gypsy community of Alicante].

[Article in Spanish]

Author information

1
Sección de Epidemiologia. Centro Salud Pública de Alicante. España. francisco.martinezcampillo@sanid.ad.m400.gva.es

Abstract

OBJEDTIVESñ To measure the vaccination coverage in a pediatric population living in Parque Ansaldo, Montoto, Casa Larga, Cabrera Vicario, San Antón and Travesía del Canal and evolution after an intervention health program performed by Gypsy educators specially trained for such intervention.

DESIGN:

Descriptive study, pretest-postest without control group.

SETTING:

Community. Primary health care. Participants. Four hundred and sixty three marginals Gypsies children younger than 15 years old.

MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS:

The project includes an educational program and health care actions by means of home visits. Duration of the project was from 1-10-96 until 1-10-97 and from 1-10-98 until 1-10-99. Before intervention the vaccine coverage was for polio, diphtheria and tetanus 41%, pertussis 24% and measles, mumps and rubella 36%. After intervention the overall coverage increased 17%. The vaccine coverage was for polio, diphtheria and tetanus 53%, pertussis 45% y measles, mumps and rubella 54%.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study shows up the low vaccine coverage founded and the increase of overall coverage after the intervention in 17%. We also conclude of the intervention the necesity of collaboration between Gypsies associations, health primary care centers and public health centers to carry out efficacy interventions in marginal population.

PMID:
12681163
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center